Electric Heating Pads Recalled Due to Electric Shocks, Skin Burns, and Rashes
isk of significant injuries. Certain heating paids can result in significant burn and other injuries.
FDA issued a medical device recall December 20, 2022. Within it, FDA wrote, Whele LLC Recalls Mighty Bliss Electric Heating Pads Due to Injury Risks Including Electric Shocks, Skin Burns, and Rashes. FDA updated its October 2022 note, Do Not Use Certain Mighty Bliss Electric Heating Pads Due to Risk of Injury: FDA Safety.
KBA routinely handled medical device and product liability cases. KBA’s product liability team is well equipped to handle burn injury cases from medical devices like heating pads. Some of KBA’s attorneys have handled electric shock and burn cases, which present unique challenges on the liability and damages side.
Recalled Mighty Bliss Electric Heating Pads
The recall covers several heating pads. The specific product model numbers are:
- Blue Electric Heating Pad: Large (12″ x 24″) MB-001 (NH-H1121B)
- Blue Electric Heating Pad: Extra-Large (20″ x 24″) MB-002 (NA-H21C)
- Grey Electric Heating Pad: Large (12″ x 24″), PE-MtyBls-HeatPad-12×24-Gry-V2 (NA-H1121B)
The company distributed these pads from July 2021 through July 2022. This recall covers over 500,000 products.
The Recall is Due to Serious Injuries Including Burn Injuries
Underscoring the importance of customer complaints, Whele LLC recalled the pads. They received reports of overheating, sparking, and skin burns, electric shock, and fire. These incidents can lead to additional injuries like infections and scar tissue. At least 31 reports involve electric shocks, burns, skin burns, rashes or irritation.
What to do if you have a recalled heating pad or suffered a burn injury from a heating pad (or otherwise)
Some customers received a notice, but some may not be aware. The company issued the following guidance for customers:
- Check your heating pad to determine if you have a recalled Mighty Bliss electric heating pad. If you have this product, stop using it and follow the recommendations in the recall notice.
- Do NOT use the recalled Mighty Bliss electric heating pads.
- Do NOT purchase the recalled Mighty Bliss electric heating pads.
- Verify receipt of the recall notification at the Whele LLC website: https://www.mightyblissheatingpadrecall.expertinquiry.com/External Link Disclaimer, even if you no longer have the product on hand.
Customers should of course seek medical attention when they have been injured. Failing to do so can be used against customers who pursue claims later.
KBA is Here to Help with Burn Injuries
The attorneys at KBA have handled burn injury cases. Combining our experience in medical devices with our work with clients with serious burn and electric shock injuries, we bring compassion and experience. We also often work with other law firms to bring lawsuits against large companies in complex cases. So we are here to help.
This post is informational. We do not advocate stopping medical treatment without speaking with a medical provider. Nonetheless, if you have had burn injuries after use of a heating pad, speak with your physician and contact an attorney to explore your options. Personal injury attorneys such as those at KBA Attorneys have decades of experience navigating the many intricacies of personal injury claims and how they affect every aspect of your life. To learn more about our team and see how we can guide you, contact our office by clicking here.